The Department offers post-graduation and Research program in Physics. The Department has well equipped laboratories, which allows students to explore a variety of experiments, thereby helping them in understanding the fundamental aspects of the subject. A list of advanced elective courses in the Department offer a glimpse in the frontier areas of research and allow students to select a topic for one-year research project. The faculty in the Department is highly talented and motivated. The faculty uses latest technology and innovative methods for teaching. Faculty members are encouraged to participate in the National and International conferences/workshops to update themselves in line with the latest developments in their research area and field of specialization.
The Department of Physics conducts research in many frontier areas of Material Sciences including Theoretical Solid State Physics, Advanced Theoretical and Computational Physics for investigating structural, electronics and magnetic properties of nano materials. Department has major thrust areas of research in Solid State Physics, Computational Physics, Spintronics, Hydrogen Storage Materials, High Density Energy Materials and Carbon Nano Materials. At present there are 4 Ph.D students enrolled in the Department. The Department has two research projects funded by Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi and Council of Scientific & Industrial Research.
|S.No.||Ongoing Projects||Sanctioned amount||Funding agency|
|1||Ab-initio investigation of catalytic effect of nanostructures on metal Hydrides||
|Department of Science and Technology|
|2||Tuning Graphene Nanostructures for Gas Sensor Applications||
|Council of Scientific & Industrial Research|
Infrastructure and Facilities
Post Graduation Laboratories: Post graduation laboratories equipped with latest equipments required as per syllabus of Nuclear Physics, Electronics, Solid State Physics and Spectroscopy.
Research Laboratories: Computational Simulation Laboratory equipped with 3 powerful Workstations and 3 Computers of high configuration for theoretical studies simulations in diverse areas of Physics.
Faculty Participation/Paper Presentation in Conferences
- International symposium on Clusters and Nanoparticles ISCAN 2015 at VCU, Richmond, Virginia, USA from October 26 – 30, 2015.
- International Conference on Condensed Matter Physics- ICCMP2014, at Himachal Pradesh University Shimla from November 4 – 6, 2014.
- Siesta and TranSiesta Tutorial Sponsored by the CECAM node at Tel Aviv (Israel), Tel Aviv University from September 8 – 11, 2014
- 6th International Conference on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICONSAT) 2014 at Panjab University, Chandigarh from March 2 – 5, 2014.
- The fifth World Hydrogen Technologies Convention (WHTC2013) at Shanghai, China from September 25 -28 , 2013
- IUAC sponsored School and workshop on Electronic structure calculations with HPC systems at The lake Resort, Naukuchiatal, Uttrakhand from April 29 – May 4, 2013.