The Department of Journalism and Mass Communication was introduced in 2012, keeping in mind the growing demand for specialized course in media at the pre-doctoral research level. The Department commenced in 2012 with M.Phil., PhD. courses and has introduced M.A. in Journalism and Mass Communication since 2014 as well. The Department regularly organizes a series of lectures and seminars wherein academicians from all over Indian visit the Department and interact with the students. The Department has very qualified and experienced faculty with global exposure in terms of academics and research.
These courses are designed to train young professionals into the basics of journalism as well as in current trends, including the latest developments in cyber and electronic journalism, for their all-round Department. The students undergo intensive practical experiences which promotes their involvement and participation in the field of journalism. The students are given conceptual understanding along with training in professional skills by academicians and professionals of long standing experience in the field of journalism.
The syllabus is highly practical oriented with strong industry linkages. This gives students a cutting edge over similar courses run by other institution. The students are acquainted with best practices in the field of journalism. The students are provided with best hands on training in the latest digital audio video and multimedia technologies. The curriculum is adapted periodically to suit the changing needs of the industry. The main objective of the courses are to provide basic and emerging concepts and principles in relation to better decision making in the different areas of media Industry.
|B.A. – Journalism and Mass Communication||3 years / 6 Semesters||25||Download|
|M.A. – Journalism and Mass Communication||2 years / 4 Semesters||25||Download|
|M. Phil – Journalism and Mass Communication||1 years / 2 Semesters||10||Download|
|Doctor of Philosophy||3-5 Years||Download|
Our Faculty Members
The Department carried Doctoral research in all major research areas of Journalism and Mass Communication like Print Media, Communication, Electronic Media, Media Management, Advertising, Public Relations, Film Studies, Development Communication, Traditional Media, Visual Communication and News Media.
|The department has well equipped laboratories with latest equipments to conduct experiments in the following fields:
|Sr.No.||Name||Title of thesis||Funding Agency||PhD Supervisor|
|1||Mr. Balbir Kumar||Digital Inequity in Haryana: A comparative Study of semi-urban area of Gurgaon & Ambala||UGC||Dr. Ranbir Singh|
|2||Mr. Deepak||New Media and Hotel Industry in Himachal Pradesh: A Study||UGC||Dr. Ranbir Singh|
|3||Ms. Kirti Loomba||Effectiveness of E-Governance as a tool for development||Dr. Ranbir Singh|
|4||Ms. Ranjana Thakur||Tourism Commuication and its socio cultural implications in Himachal Pradesh: A Study||Dr. Ranbir Singh|
|5||Ms. Anterpreet Kaur||ICT & Agriculture: A Study based on Punjab||Dr. Ranbir Singh|
|6||Ms. Rama Bhatia||Social Media and Women Empowerment: A Study based on Punjab||Dr. Ranbir Singh|
Events (FDPs / Workshops / Seminars)
- Organised a visit to Dainik Bhaskar Printing Office and Radio Station 98.3 FM on February 17th, 2017.
- Celebrated World Radio Day on 13th February 2017.
- Workshop on VISAKA Digital awareness programme on 11th January 2017.
- Celebrated National Press Day on 14th November 2016.
- Organised seminar on “Possibilities of technical development of Punjabi Language” on 12th November 2014.
Faculty Participation/Paper Presentation in Conferences
- Dr. Ranbir Singh presented paper on Nostalgia Through Celluloid – Memories Rekindled in the IAMCR 2016 conference on Memory, Commemoration and Media organized by University of Leicester (27 – 31 July 2016).
- Dr. Ranbir Singh presented paper on Media Credibility: Victim Of Political and Power Interests in the 11th Global Communication Association India Conference on Ombudsman Media and Social Responsibility, organized by University of Mysore (Karnataka) (28 – 29 January, 2016).
- Dr. Ekta Mahajan attended International Conference on Media and Communication Studies 2015,Changing Paradigm of Media landscape in the Digital Age 2.0 where paper on topic ” Social Media and Maggi Crisis: A Case study was presented which was held at Amity University, Rajasthan, (November 20 – 22, 2015).
|Dr. Ranbir Singh
Head of Department
Mobile no.: +91-947-809-8070