Vision and Mission of the Department
To be a knowledge nerve center in Physical Sciences, Pure and Applied Research and industry requirements for creating sustainable infrastructure and enhancing quality of life
- To offer globally-relevant, industry-linked, research-focused, technology-enabled seamless education at the graduate, postgraduate and research levels in various areas of Physical sciences keeping in mind that the manpower so spawned is excellent in quality, is relevant to the global scientific and technological needs, is motivated to give its best and is committed to the growth of the Nation;
- To develop and conduct continuing education programmes for Science graduates with a view to update their fundamental knowledge base and problem-solving capabilities in the various are as of core specialization of the University;
- To develop comprehensive linkages with premier academic and research institutions within the country and abroad for mutual benefit.
The Department offers Postgraduate and Research program in Physics. The Department has well equipped laboratories, which allows students to explore a variety of experiments, thereby helping them in understanding the fundamental aspects of the subject. A list of advanced elective courses in the Department offer a glimpse in the frontier areas of research and allow students to select a topic for one-year research project. The faculty in the Department is highly talented and motivated. The faculty uses latest technology and innovative methods for teaching. Faculty members are encouraged to participate in the National and International conferences/workshops to update themselves in line with the latest developments in their research area and field of specialization.
|B.Sc.(Hons) Physics||3 years (Semester system)||30||10+2 or equivalent with minimum 50% marks or equivalent in aggregate with respective subject as one of the main subjects. (45% in case of SC/ST)||Download|
|M.Sc.Physics||2 years (Semester system)||25||B.Sc. (Pass or Hons.) degree with minimum 50% marks or equivalent in aggregate with respective subject as one of the main subjects. (45% in case of SC/ST)||Download (2018)
|Doctor of Philosophy||3-5 years||Subject to availability||See general PhD guidelines of University||Download|
Board of Studies (Physics)
Board of Studies (2019- 2021)
|Dr. Amit Sarin-Chairman
Dr. Arvinder Singh
Dr. N. S. Saini
Dr. Rakesh Dogra
Dr. H. M. Mittal
Dr. Harleen Dahiya
Dr. Ashok Kumar
|Dr. D. P. Singh
Dr. Bivash Behra
Dr. B. C. Chaudhary
Dr. Hitesh Sharma
Dr. Maninder Kaur
Dr. Varinderjit Singh
S. Navdeepak Sandhu
Dr. Neetika (coordinator)
Board of Studies (2017- 2019)
|Dr. Amit Sarin-Chairman
Dr. RK Bedi
Dr. Ravi Kumar
Dr. Rakesh Dogra
Dr. Harpreet Garewal
Dr. Rajeev Malhotra
|Dr. Kanchan L Singh
Dr. Maninder Kaur
Dr. Neetika Sharma-Coordinator
Board of Studies (2015-2017)
|Dr. AK Tyagi-Chairman
Dr. I.S Sandhu
Dr. J.S. Hundal
Dr. Dyal Chand
Dr. Rakesh Dogra
Dr. Ajay Kumar
|Dr. Rajeev Malholtra
Dr. K.K. Raina
Dr. Rohit Mehra
Dr. Joyti Sood
Our Faculty Members
The Department conducts research in many frontier areas like Theoretical Solid State Physics, Advanced Theoretical and Computational Physics for investigating structural, Electronics and Magnetic properties of Nano Materials.
Department has major thrust areas of research in Solid State Physics, Computational Physics, Spintronics, Hydrogen Storage Materials, High Density Energy Materials, Carbon Nano Materials, Renewable Energy and Experimental Nuclear Physics.
|Post Graduation Laboratories:|
|The department has well equipped laboratories with latest equipments to conduct experiments in the following fields:
|Computational Simulation Laboratory equipped with 3 powerful Workstations and 3 Computers of high configuration for theoretical studies simulations in diverse areas of Physics.|
Projects undertaken by the department
|S.No.||Project Titles (completed and ongoing)||Funds provided (INR in lakhs)||Year||Funding agency||Principal Investigator|
|1||Ab-initio investigation of catalytic effect of nanostructures on metal Hydrides||
|2011||Science and Engineering Research Board, New Delhi||Dr. Hitesh Sharma|
|2||Physico-chemical characterization of methyl oleate-methyl palmitate blend as a model system for Jatropha-Palm biodiesel||
|2012||Science and Engineering Research Board, New Delhi||Dr. Amit Sarin|
|3||Tuning Graphene Nanostructures for Gas Sensor Applications||
|2013||Council of Scientific & Industrial Research, New Delhi||Dr. Hitesh Sharma|
|4||To investigate the effect of deformation on nuclear dissipation||
|2016||Inter University Accelerator Centre, New Delhi||Dr. Maninder Kaur|
|5||Investigation of fusion enhancement for neutron-rich symmetric systems near and below the fusion barrier||
|2017||Inter University Accelerator Centre, New Delhi||Dr. Varinderjit Singh|
|6||The magnetic moments of N* and negative parity resonances in chiral constituent quark model20||
|2013||Science and Engineering Research Board, New Delhi||Dr. Neetika|
|7||Diffractive vector meson production at HERA using a holographic AdS/QCD approach.||
|2018||Science and Engineering Research||Dr. Neetika|
|8||Study of interface magnetic interactions in La0.7Sr0.3MnO3/A2LnRuO6
Heterostructures for Spintronics applications.
|2019||Science and Engineering Research Board, New Delhi||Dr. Rabia Pandit|
|Sr.No.||Name||Title of thesis||Funding Agency||PhD Supervisor|
|1||Ms. Meetu Singh||Impact of radiations on the stability of fuels synthesized from oils||Dr. Amit Sarin|
|2||Ms. Surbhi||Optical, electrical and thermal characterization Ge-Sn-Se chalcogenide system||Dr. Amit Sarin|
|3||Mr. Amit Sethi||Thermal and optical characterization of Sn-Se-Te glasses doped with Sb and In||Dr. Amit Sarin|
|4||Ms. Meenakshi||Improving Energetics of Solid State Hydrogen Storage using Carbon Nanostructures using First Principle Calculations||DST||Dr. Hitesh Sharma|
|5||Mr. Sandeep Kumar||Structural, Electronic & Transport properties of grapheme nanoribbons using DFT||CSIR||Dr. Hitesh Sharma|
Faculty Participation/Paper Presentation in Conferences
- Dr. Hitesh Sharma delivered invited lecture in National Seminar on Recent Developments in Condensed Matter Physics (RDCMP), at Punjab Engineering College (Deemed to be University), Chandigarh-160012 on 16th November (Saturday) 2019.
- Dr. Hitesh Sharma delivered invited lecture in the Short Term Course on “Smart Materials & Nanotechnology” organized by the Department of Basic & Applied Sciences, Punjabi University Patiala in collaboration with NITTTR Chandigarh from 2nd Dec to 6th Dec, 2019.
- Dr. Hitesh Sharma delivered invited lecture under DBT start status scheme at Department of Physics, Doaba College, Jalandhar.
- Dr. Hitesh Sharma delivered invited lecture in the FDP on “Recent Advances in Nanostructured Materials” organized by the Department of Physical Sciences, IKGPTU in collaboration with NITTTR Chandigarh from 13th Jan to 17th Jan, 2020.
- Dr. Amit Sarin delivered Invited lecture at Summer School in Material Science/Basic Sciences at GNDU Amritsar.
- Dr. Amit Sarin received Outstanding Reviewer Certification from Journal “Fuel” of Elsevier
- Dr. Maninder Kaur successfully attended Summer School in Material/Basic Sciences (ID) at UGC-HRDC, GNDU, Amritsar.
- Dr. Varinderjit Singh, participated in 119th Orientation Course at UGC-HRDC, Panjab University, Chandigarh and Summer school at UGC-HRDC, GNDU, Amritsar.
- Dr. Neetika, successfully attended GOC at UGC-HRDC, GNDU, Amritsar.
- Dr. Varinderjit Singh, invited as visiting Faculty at Indiana University, USA from 06/01/2020 to 05/01/2021.
|Dr. Hitesh Sharma
Incharge-Department of Physical Sciences,
Main Campus, Kapurthala
Contact Number: +91-947-809-8060